Saturday, July 10, 2010

TAR BALLS!



as we all know, this week as tar balls hit texas, it meant that every gulf state now has oil washing up on the shores. sad. i know. they even found oil in crab embryos in the Back Bay (not technically the gulf, but connected), which means that the oil has officially ruined sea life at every level of development now.

anyway, in light of the oil washing ashore. we thought we might go hunting for some tar balls today, A.K.A. liquid gold, black gold, etc.

instead, we found this little rascal. he thought it would be cool to walk around out at the beach and make dead serious faces at us. i think he succeeded.


he hasn't spent many of his days with sand between his toes, and i think he sorta hated it. i just hope he gets over it with time, because we will be spending plenty of time at the beach over the course of his lifetime.


as you can see. no tar balls at biloxi beach... just two parents and a son who aren't quite sure when the camera is going to take their picture.


so after our black gold/tar ball hunt turned up short. we decided to resurrect our new yorker spirits. and since their aren't many good brunching establishments, we opted to go antiquing...

and i must say. we definitely struck gold! check out these original F.W. Dixon Hardy Boys books...

so amazing. i used to read these with my dad as a kid. by that i mean, we would read the same books he read when he was a kid. however, his collection of Hardy Boys books have been split amongst my dad's brothers and presumably their sons too.


way back when, my dad and i looked all over to find more originals. i think we even went to a couple D.I.'s to look. and knowing my mom, maybe even Sam Weller's in Salt Lake, but my memories aren't that sharp. but i do remember, they are impossible to find. especially in large quantities. long story short, i know a gold mine when i see one when it comes to original HB collections. and speaking of collections, if anyone has a spare $895 for the COMPLETE set of F.W. Dixon's Hardy Boys with the original dust jackets, let me know, because it was also for sale where i picked up my newest six...

i also picked up these rad wide camera straps for $5 a pop. classically awesome. but i'm not sure which one is better:

option A?
or option B:? what do you vote for?
i almost wish i could put them both on at the same time. but i have to decide, because i'm pretty sure emily wants to put the other one on her point and shoot.... and i'm not sure if she's kidding. ;)

10 comments:

Jill T said...

Dad and I were just looking for the Hardy Boys books on Wednesday for Zach to read and were wondering if you had them. I'm guessing now that you do?

And does that mean the nice camera is yours and the P&S is Emily's?

Whitney said...

Nice family pic. Geez lo-weez Emily! You are looking skinnier each picture! I just want to eat Will up. Oh, and I like the first option better.

petey said...

Jill. that's funny cause mom asked me the same thing today.
I'll check again, but I'm pretty sure I don't have any.... except the wonderful new six I bought today. let me know if you want me to get zach some at my source. they have tons more...

mom/shauna said...

Love the picture of the 3 of you.
Will looks like he's not sure about the sand in his toes.

Emily Frandsen said...

i like the second camera strap. something about it reminds me of grandpa ray . . .

jenny&steve said...

Cute little will, he just needs to be on a California beach. I know that he will like it much better. On Sat. I was watching some little kids hunt for sand crabs, I think that Will be doing that soon.

I like the first strap better.

Dad (TMF) said...

Oh, to have original Hardy Boys--but not at the cost of $895. Many memories or childhood, young adulthood, adulthood and more. Good v bad. Respect for authority. Manners. Good food. What else can you want from a book?

Elise Matthews said...

Option A for the strap. Peter, i finally looked at the blog, are you happy? but honestly, i also wanted to see pics of my cute lil nephew. he's so big!!

Kaedi said...

Option A. Definitely. Miss you guys!

petey said...

jill.
the big camera is our camera, but the point and shoot is definitely her camera.

i'm sorta partial to the first strap too.